Friday, August 17, 2007

World of the Living Brain-Dead


As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have little or no patience for ignorance or stupidity. Unfortunately it’s a rampant problem and, from my perspective, appears to be spreading. There are times when I feel like I’m in one of those zombie movies, surrounded by ever growing numbers of brainless nimrods. No matter where I run, I can’t get away… They’re everywhere. Even here at the library (where I work) I’m not safe from it.

For starters, a day doesn’t go by that I don’t hear that god-awful mispronunciation of the word “library.” Something in their shrunken zombie brains insists on moving the two R’s together: “li-berry.”

And when they check out, their glassy, vacant eyes watch me stamp the date in the front of the books, but invariably they ask: “When are they due back?” Hel-lo! It’s right there, where I stamped it. Even if I told them, I know they won’t remember by tomorrow, let alone two weeks from now, so why do they bother asking? That’s why we stamp the date in the front of the book.

Sometimes I wonder how these people manage to get dressed in the morning…then again, that may explain something about my rant from Tuesday…

Lee

4 comments:

Mo and The Purries said...

Oh, you should have posted the graphic, too!

I agree, that "lie-berry" is one of those mispronunciations that drives me nuts.
Like putting an S at the end of Wal-Mart. Or "chim-bley" where do people get a B to go into chimney???

You'd think in a library, at least most people would be literate.... you'd think, anyway...

katherine. said...

a couple years ago I was given oversight of the ticket office and operations for the University I worked for. A couple people actually expressed concern..."oh..um...do you really think its a good idea to have katherine working with the public?"

Fortunetly I didn't have to actually work with the public...just manage the sainted souls who do....smile

remeber that shot from "sixth sense" which was rewritten, "I see stupid people...they don't even know they are stupid..."

Desert Songbird said...

The brain dead are quite ubiquitous. I was talking to a teacher friend the other day (who, incidentally, teaches 8th grade Language Arts). His students were entering homeroom, and one of the teen girls said to him, "Me 'n her are goin' to the bathroom." Before I could cease from choking, he rounded on her and said, "Me 'n her?!?!? You're joking, right? How about asking me in correct English before I grant permission?" She looked at him blankly.

Dottie said...

Unless you're 2 or 3 years old, those mispronunciations bug me too.

Great blog by the way... new visitor here. Have a good day.