Thursday, August 16, 2007

Like, Totally Far Out!


My Thirteen Favorite Songs from the 80s
(listed chronologically by release date)

1 (1982) I Ran (So Far Away), by Flock of Seagulls
2 (1983) Always Something There to Remind Me, by Naked Eyes
3 (1983) I Melt With You, by Modern English
4 (1983) Our House, by Madness
5 (1983) Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This), by the Eurythmics
6 (1984) Karma Chameleon, by Culture Club
7 (1985) Everybody Wants to Rule the World, by Tears for Fears
8 (1985) Take On Me, by a-ha
9 (1986) Everybody Have Fun Tonight, by Wang Chung
10 (1986) If You Leave, by OMD
11 (1987) Something So Strong, by Crowded House
12 (1988) Shattered Dreams, by Johnny Hates Jazz
13 (1990) Vogue, by Madonna

Wow, I guess 1983 was a good year for music, huh? Actually, the whole decade produced a lot of great music, and this was another hard list to compile (though not as hard as last week’s). Now, I can already hear all of you complaining that number 13 is bending the rules a little. My argument is this: First, no one will deny that Madonna and the 80s are practically synonymous. Second, according to Wikipedia, Vogue was released in the early part of the year (3/90) so it’s probably a safe bet that it was actually written and recorded in 1989. And third, it’s MY list and I can bend any rule I want.

Lee

5 comments:

Mo and The Purries said...

Like, I totally can't believe there isn't any George Michael or Wham! on this list!

katherine. said...

makes me wonder how old you were in 1983?

As far as the date issue....1990 is actually the last year of the decade. Just like 2000 was the last year of the century...

Anonymous said...

Totally awesome! Those were radical songs, dude. Great list. :)

Carrie said...

oooh, Spam! *pokes the spammer*

In 1983 I was 5, but I know just about all of those songs :) I'm a sucker for 80's music, yet another thing that drives hubby nuts! Excellent list.. I think I'm going to go find the video for Take On Me and put it up on my blog in your honor ;)

Dottie said...

Great list! I totally love the 80's music. I was 13 in 1983. Those were the days.