Wednesday, August 15, 2007

"Thank You For Being A Friend..."


I got to thinking after posting about the “half doughnut” and mentioning the Golden Girls, that you may not be aware of the fact that I am a HUGE fan of the Golden Girls. I have almost the entire show (sans the last season) on DVD, and before that I used to watch the episodes on a daily basis on cable’s Lifetime network. The show is a classic, and it never gets old for me. I’ve seen those episodes a million times and they still make me laugh like it’s the first time. I can easily quote whole scenes verbatim (just ask Morgen). In fact, the show is so entrenched in my mind that I quite frequently have what I call a “Golden Girls moment” where some tidbit of daily life will suddenly bring to mind a scene from the show. Sometimes there is a direct correlation between what’s happening in real life and the remembered scene, while at other times, the reference is more obscure.

Now invariably, when I get to talking with people about the Girls, I am asked which one is my favorite. For me, that’s an impossible question. I love them all, and each is funny in her own way: Dorothy has that biting sarcasm, Blanche’s nymphomania is always a hoot, Rose’s blockheaded naiveté and St. Olaf stories always make me laugh, and Sophia’s straight from the hip commentaries are a riot.

Personality-wise, I’m probably closest to Dorothy (again, ask Morgen for confirmation). I share her sarcastic sense of humor (I know it hasn’t shown itself here yet, but give it time…) and I often feel I’m the only sane one in the bunch. I lose my patience easily in the face of stupidity and ignorance, but socially I’m not always the most out-going. I have a keen intelligence (especially when it comes to remembering facts and trivia) and would often rather spend a Saturday night reading a good book to going out dancing.

Huh, started talking about the Golden Girls, and ended up telling you a bit about me as well…

Lee

3 comments:

Mo and The Purries said...

Picture it, Sicily...
You're right, hard to pick just one of the Girls to be a favorite.
We need to get Season 7 on DVD.

katherine. said...

I'm with you on a book over dancing...just as long as there is a good dinner and a glass of red wine in there someplace.

I'm totally a Gilmore Girls kinda a gal....that was my life...

Carrie said...

Hubby makes fun of me because I told him once that I used to watch the Golden Girls all the time. I always liked Rose best, but I'm drawn to the silly ones. When I used to watch the Monkees, Mickey was my favorite because he was so zany.

Call me next time you guys have a GG marathon, I'll be over in a heartbeat! ;)