Thursday, August 23, 2007

I Have Nothing to Declare But My Genius


Thirteen Great Quotations By Oscar Wilde:

1) The public have an insatiable curiosity to know everything, except what is worth knowing.

2) As long as war is regarded as wicked, it will always have its fascination. When it is looked upon as vulgar, it will cease to be popular.

3) Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people.

4) There is no sin except stupidity.

5) When people agree with me I always feel that I must be wrong.

6) To disagree with three-fourths of the public is one of the first elements of sanity.

7) I sometimes think that God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.

8) Truth, in matters of religion, is simply the opinion that has survived.

9) I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

10) When we are happy we are always good, but when we are good we are not always happy.

11) I can resist everything except temptation.

12) The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it.

13) (Sex) is the perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?

Now, I must give credit where credit is due: the idea for today’s list did not come completely from my mind. Yesterday, when I was sitting at work trying to come up with a topic, my mind was in a fog and it was obvious that brilliance would not be forthcoming without assistance. Then a co-worker came by and asked about my blog. I informed her of my dilemma and she, having a fresh, unhampered perspective, proceeded to rattle off three or four really good ideas. I wrote them all down (for later use) and proceeded to work on the one most suited to a library: to list thirteen of my favorite quotes. I then proceeded to get a book of quotations (actually I used three), and started to browse. I found a couple by Oscar Wilde that really struck home, and that’s when I decided to focus the list on his quotes alone (I found many more than thirteen, by the way).

One note about number thirteen: the word sex is in parentheses because it is not the word used in Wilde’s original quote—which was regarding cigarettes (disgusting things). Not only do I think that my substitution is abundantly appropriate in this statement, but I firmly believe that Wilde would have approved of the change (and indeed may have been his original intent).

Lee

(P.S. The title of this post is another quote of Oscar Wilde)

12 comments:

katherine. said...

I have nothing else to declare either...

Anonymous said...

Number four is my favorite! :)

Great list, Lee.

Happy TT.

katherine. said...

hey...just checkin' in and saying... hey

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Placa de VĂ­deo, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://placa-de-video.blogspot.com. A hug.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Genial post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you on your information.

Anonymous said...

leeslabyrinth.blogspot.com; You saved my day again.

Anonymous said...

Do you have copy writer for so good articles? If so please give me contacts, because this really rocks! :)

Anonymous said...

Genial brief and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.

Anonymous said...

Good brief and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you as your information.

Anonymous said...

Genial post and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you seeking your information.

Anonymous said...

I am reading this article second time today, you have to be more careful with content leakers. If I will fount it again I will send you a link